Our foray into the world of seeking…
Beeswax Lip Balm
Home-made Beeswax Lip Balm
[captionpix imgsrc=”http://blog.cleanslatefarm.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/lip-balm-cover.jpg” captiontext=”Home-made beeswax lip balm ingredients.” imgtitle=”‘beeswax lip balm”]
Having been the beneficiaries of a tiny bit of beeswax from the hives this year, about 1 1/14 ounces, we decided to make some home-made lip balm with coconut oil and honey. The honey isn’t ours as our bees will be eating it up during the winter. What’s left over in spring will be ours.
After reading the benefits about the benefits of beeswax and coconut oil balms we did a little poking around for a suitable recipe and after finding one we gathered all the ingredients.
This is such a simple process that it borders on the ridiculous, and the benefits of home-made beeswax lip balm are already showing. The stuff is good, and with the honey added, it’s not oily tasty or off-putting in flavor.
The most difficult part of making the balm was scaling up the ingredients and making sure our addition to the recipe, some orange flavoring, didn’t alter the texture or consistency of the balm. Our math and alterations were spot on and the balm came out terrific. The recipe below shows how little you need to make your own.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 15 grams (1/2 ounce) beeswax
- 1 T coconut oil
- 1 T honey
- 3 drops orange flavoring
- 3 each vitamin E capsules, squeezed
- Melt the beeswax, honey, and coconut oil in the olive oil in the microwave, or in a double boiler on the stove top. If using a double boiler make sure to grate the beeswax so it melts faster. Blend well to incorporate all the ingredients.
- As the mixture heats, squeeze the vitamin E capsules into the mixture.
- Pour into tubes or .25 ounce containers and let set overnight to solidify.